Questions about readings on first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueman89

Reaction score
Just finished my first mostly all grain(added 2# Light DME to use up some of the bulk on hand, and fit with 5 gal Mash Tun) and everything went fairly well. Just have a few questions about my numbers.
Grain bill was-
4#- Red Wheat
2#- Two Row
12oz.- Munich
8oz.- Cara-pils
4oz.- Crystal 40
2.25#- Light DME
This Was a batch sparge. Based on 65% efficiency.
Mashed with 1.25 qt/lb at 154*. Stirred very well. Stayed good and stable . Added just under 4 qt at 170* at end of 60. Still only pulled a bit over 2 gallons. So I added three gallons of sparge at 172* pulled about 2 gallons and added another gallon at 172* to make up 6 gallon pre-boil. First running test cooled to 70* read 1.044. Second running at 70* said 1.016. Total of 6 gallon at 70* read 1.030. Beer Smith said that Pre-Boil OG should be 1.032, before extract, for 65% efficiency. Post Boil 5 gallons should be 1.057. I read dead on 1.050 at 70* with just over 5 gallons in the bucket(gauged by notched paddle in kettle after chilling).

So I guess my question is, did that little bit under gravity and over 5 gallons cause the slightly low OG?

The mash temp was just a tad high for fermentable sugars, but at 65% you probably have that figured in. I'd say the dilution is the most obvious discrepancy. Still, that's pretty close to expected gravities, I'd be happy with that. :)

Back