questions about my first keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
I am going to put my first batch into a keg. I already had a kegging system set up in my bar I just have to convert to korney kegs.

My question Is about carbination. Do I use the corn sugar in my keg let it set for a week and then hook it up to my co2. or after secondary fermintation do I hook it up to my co2 without corn sugar and let it set for a week on co2 to force carb. Is there a difference either way ? what guidlines do I use for sugar measurment and time, or how much psi for how long before I can drink? This is my first time and I am confused by what I have read so any help would be great. Thanks

Do either the sugar or the CO2. If you want to drink it in a week, use CO2. If you are short of CO2 and don't mind waiting for up to three weeks, use the sugar.

Force carbing generally refers to setting the CO2 at a much higher than serving pressure and shaking the corny to get the gas into solution in the liquid. If you're willing to wait a week, just set your tank to serving pressure and come back in a week. That's what I do.

Fingers said:
Do either the sugar or the CO2. If you want to drink it in a week, use CO2. If you are short of CO2 and don't mind waiting for up to three weeks, use the sugar.

Force carbing generally refers to setting the CO2 at a much higher than serving pressure and shaking the corny to get the gas into solution in the liquid. If you're willing to wait a week, just set your tank to serving pressure and come back in a week. That's what I do.

So if I have time dont worry about setting it to high pressure, just put it on 10 or 12 psi wait a week or so and I am good to go?

using CO2 is technically always force carbing. rapid force carbing is when you pound 30psi in there and shake/rock the keg for an hour.

I prefer the 10-12psi for a week. its less 'biting' due to the lower amount of carbonic acid from not forcing it in a short time frame.

but sometimes you need beer NOW!

Back