questions about kegs and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
first question. i just bought 5 used ball lock kegs. when just doing a general cleaning (i will sterilize them right before the kegging) i put some water in them and shook them around. I noticed with about 2 of them that water was coming out of the top piece that you take off. the O ring looks good though. And i know I had to leave a lot of pressure out of the one first, and it was one that leaked! so when i keg these and get carbonation introduced would that then force the O ring to make a proper seal? I am just not sure if i should worry that they didn't seal completely when i had water in them.

next question. i just bought 5 of these. my kegerator holds 2 at a time. if i get some brew in the other 3 and force carbonize them could i place in hte closet in the basement (which it is cool but def not like a fridge). Just wondering if I can keep them there so when i need a new keg on tap, or will they go bad?

You need to hit it with about 15~20psi for a moment to seat the lid properly. Then do your lea check. The lids on cornies need pressure to properly seal, as the lid lock isn't enough.

As for storage of the others, it seems that the most common recomendation is to use gas to carbonate at serving temps. Since you can't do that in a closet, most would recomend priming and naturally carbing like you would a bottle. You will get a little more settlment in the keg, but it should pour out by the thrid pint.

:mug:

-Todd

I got my first corny about two weeks ago and the same thing happened when I rinsed mine for the first time. I used ~30 psi to seal it up...for the first couple of seconds I heard gas leaking out the top but after that you could watch the lid rise up as it sealed.

It did take several tries to get everything put together properly and sealed. I practiced with water first since I didn't want to risk any beer.

Back