questions about keging beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey all i been doing some reading on how to brew beer ... and i plan on putting my beer in a keg.. sense i already have a kegerator at home, so my question is i see that there are two methods of putting co2 in the beer for kegs.. either forced or using sugar..... now my question is does either method have any benefits over the other?

i know with putting sugar in the beer to allow the beer to make it own co2 that take a couple weeks .. now by letting it sit longer by doing that method will it improve the beer flavor by giving the yeast more time to eat stuff up?

now i also read that when people put the beer in bottles that the bottem will have yeast in it and u got to be careful when pouring it the beer in the glass so u dont get a mouth full of yeast..... now does this happen when u keg?

hey all i been doing some reading on how to brew beer ... and i plan on putting my beer in a keg.. sense i already have a kegerator at home, so my question is i see that there are two methods of putting co2 in the beer for kegs.. either forced or using sugar..... now my question is does either method have any benefits over the other?

i know with putting sugar in the beer to allow the beer to make it own co2 that take a couple weeks .. now by letting it sit longer by doing that method will it improve the beer flavor by giving the yeast more time to eat stuff up?

now i also read that when people put the beer in bottles that the bottem will have yeast in it and u got to be careful when pouring it the beer in the glass so u dont get a mouth full of yeast..... now does this happen when u keg?

Hello...just some clarification: When you keg, you can do it three ways: You can set your keg and forget it for 1 to 2 weeks and let co2 slowly saturate the beer (which is best), you can force carbonate which will give you beer within 24 hours...but you sacrifice some flavor for this, and finally some people add priming sugar to kegs to carbonate...but rarely is this necessary, the exception would be if you were dispensing something like a pumpkin ale, this would taste great if you used brown sugar to carbonate with.

When you bottle, it is important to make sure you have a good racking process...if you dont, you will have a mouthful of yeast. Same could be said about a keg, however a keg is a little more forgiving and you really wont notice the yeast until you get to the bottom of the keg.

now is there a diff in the flavor of the beer when u just let teh keg sit by it self for 1-2 weeks to make its own co2 or when u put sugar in the beer to make c02?

also will those two methods have about the same amount of co2? the reason i ask is that i like a beer that has alot of co2 in it...

In addition, one of the benefits of using priming sugar is when you have a pipeline going (Kegerator full) and you have one or more kegs of beer just sitting around, and will be sitting around for a while (or at least until you finish a keg off). Then why not add priming sugar and let them do their thing in the meantime? This way, they're already carbonated, and you don't use up your tank in the meantime. (not that co2's expensive or anything, but you have to make an effort to fill up the tank, or force carb by shaking)

The disadvantage of priming sugar is the small amount of yeast that's created. There are two times you may notice it, at the very beginning, when the diptube is sucking up some yeast. (It clears within a few ounces though, so you may just toss the first three ounces and not worry about yeast again unless you're moving the keg around [or if it's a hefe or other yeast saturated beer]). And at the very end when there's next to no beer left and it's draining from the yeast cake, pulling some yeast with it.

So of the three processes, yes, there are advantages with each one, but they're all different and fit all different situations.

If I've just finished the fermentation & settling process and I want the beer *now*, then the obvious winner is force carbonating. Even if this means that the sharp, acidic co2 flavor shows up a bit more. And there's a chance I may overcarbonate, or undercarbonate.

If it's my 7th full keg and it's going to sit around for a month or longer before I ever get to it, then sugar is my winner, since it takes at least 3 weeks for the full process of carbonation, and letting the yeast clean up it's byproducts. Even if that means there's a tiny bit of yeast at the very beginning and very end. It's only a few ounces and I toss that much each time I drain the bev tubing before I pour.

If it's my 3rd keg, and my cooling unit only holds two (or maybe even just one), and I know that it'll be finished in a week or two, then the slow co2 tank carbonation is probably the best balance. Since it's semi-quick, yet will have time to have the co2 bite dissipate, and I'm not likely to overshoot my desired carbonation level. (Also useful when you have multiple air lines).

There's some fuzzy stuff too about natural vs force co2 and the quality of carbonation bubbles, but I'm not touching too far into that debate (though I prefer natural carbonation, because I'm in the opinion of it somehow creating smaller champagne-like co2 bubbles, while force carbing creates larger ones like soda.)

*edit* All three methods will have about the same amount of co2. But for quick force, you may under or overshoot easilly. For long force carb, you will get what you set it for. For sugar, you have to calculate the amount of sugar.

now is there a diff in the flavor of the beer when u just let teh keg sit by it self for 1-2 weeks to make its own co2 or when u put sugar in the beer to make c02?

also will those two methods have about the same amount of co2? the reason i ask is that i like a beer that has alot of co2 in it...

Let me start buying saying there is no real need to use sugar to carbonate a keg...unless you are using a flavored sugar, then that makes sense...as for a flavor difference you wont notice one, but you did just increase your caloric intake by adding more sugars and so thats why its better to just let co2 do the job.
If you prefer a more carbonated beer, than just bump up the co2...here is a chart for carbonating various beers based on the refrigerators temp: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

hey thanks for all the help guys that really helped me out alot ..now there is only about another 300 things i need to figure out before i start trying my frist home brew...but oh well its better to take my time to learn this stuff the right way then to just jump in and make my self a big batch of panther piss

oh hey another quick question that i just thought of .. i been looking online for a 5 gal keg.. cause it looks like that they use a different type of connection that when i have on my kegerator at home.. i have something were the connector goes in the middle of the keg and i push down and twist to make the connection and lock it in .. be then again all i been using is 15.5 gal kegs that i get from the store....

now can i buy 5gal kegs that have that same connection that like coor's uses for there kegs.. or what they use for dos equis kegs?

or am i going to have to buy a a special set up so i can some how make it work with my kegerator?

Let me start buying saying there is no real need to use sugar to carbonate a keg...unless you are using a flavored sugar, then that makes sense...as for a flavor difference you wont notice one, but you did just increase your caloric intake by adding more sugars and so thats why its better to just let co2 do the job.
If you prefer a more carbonated beer, than just bump up the co2...here is a chart for carbonating various beers based on the refrigerators temp: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

You're increasing your caloric content by adding more alcohol, sure...but isn't that a good thing, and one of the major reasons that we drink beer in the first place?

You're increasing your caloric content by adding more alcohol, sure...but isn't that a good thing, and one of the major reasons that we drink beer in the first place?

Yes and No....you are right, you will increase your ABV by as much as 0.05%, but you are increasing it with sugar water...I would much have wort be a cause of my increase versus sugar water. Of course this isn't always true for me like I previously mentioned, because a keg filled with pumpkin ale that had been carbed with brown sugar is amazing.
So I think your right, it does increase the alcohol slightly but the beer snob in me would prefer it be by sugars from the grain!

oh hey another quick question that i just thought of .. i been looking online for a 5 gal keg.. cause it looks like that they use a different type of connection that when i have on my kegerator at home.. i have something were the connector goes in the middle of the keg and i push down and twist to make the connection and lock it in .. be then again all i been using is 15.5 gal kegs that i get from the store....

now can i buy 5gal kegs that have that same connection that like coor's uses for there kegs.. or what they use for dos equis kegs?

or am i going to have to buy a a special set up so i can some how make it work with my kegerator?

Check out kegconnection.com or kegcowboy.com they carry adaptors and conversion kits (as well as kegs) that will allow you to switch your commercial keggerator over for homebrew use. Also, welcome to the hobby and the HBT community,

Yes and No....you are right, you will increase your ABV by as much as 0.05%, but you are increasing it with sugar water...I would much have wort be a cause of my increase versus sugar water. Of course this isn't always true for me like I previously mentioned, because a keg filled with pumpkin ale that had been carbed with brown sugar is amazing.
So I think your right, it does increase the alcohol slightly but the beer snob in me would prefer it be by sugars from the grain!

But the sugar that you add gets completely fermented to alcohol and CO2, making it chemically identical to the grain-derived stuff. I guess I don't understand how any "sugar water" is left.

But the sugar that you add gets completely fermented to alcohol and CO2, making it chemically identical to the grain-derived stuff. I guess I don't understand how any "sugar water" is left.

You are right, it does get fermented and does become alcohol...if you believe it's chemically identical to wort, than by all means, forgo using grain and go straight to sugar based beer.
The amount is miniscule and it doesn't really seem like a reason to have a disagreement....my original point is that it's not necessary to carb a beer keg with sugar, you can do it and I do on pumpkin ales (using brown sugar), but it's not necessary...and yes it will increase your alcohol content by as much as 0.05%

Back