Questions About Going Electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacmcgoo

Reaction score
So, we have to have an electrician come in and replace our fuse box (old fusebox original to a 40+ y/o house) and I figured now would be a good time to convert to electric brewing. I've been doing 5 gal all grain on propane for years now. SS Brewtech appears to have a pretty nice but expensive system in 3v and requires 2 240V/30A outlets right? What other companies are doing electric brewing that aren't doing the all-in-one system? I see that clawhammer has a eBIAB set up and Blichmann has a pricey system. Any other systems I should take a look at before I decide?

Last edited:
2 240/30A is what I use and works well. Some have used 1 50A circuit and split into two circuits w a spa panel.

I made my 3 vessel system out of modified 1/2 kegs for low money, is working very well for 10 gallon batches. Have seen some ads for keg based systems/vessels pre modified or modified to order if you are not into the metal work. They still cost less than the purpose built kettles. I used my rig w propane for about a year before I added heat elements and went electric.

My keg system was inexpensive, is very durable, and modifiable. If inverts kegs for hot liqueur tank and mash tun, added efficiency. Down sides of my rig are it is a little heavy and not that pretty.

I bought an Auber Cube for controller, which works well. Blichman's controller is supposed to be good too, & I think a little less money.

I use a 240volt/30amp service with a GFCI breaker. I had blichmann pots so stuck with them and added water heater elements. Take a look at Kai's excellent site on how to get a lot of this done. I built my own controller, drilled all pots and the control box. It is an e-herms system.

Building Your Brewery

If you go with a proprietary systems, it could be expensive should you have to upgrade or replace failed parts.

Back