Questions about Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGlove

Reaction score
current batch
3 pounds german wheat malt
2.5 pounds german 2 row pale
.5 pounds german 55L crystal
2 pounds Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz liberty hops pellets (they smell awesome)
wyeast American Hefeweizen yeast
and I threw in a whirlfloc tablet to clear it all up.

It's in the primary right now, and it looks really really cloudy. I was hoping to get something a little cleaner in appearance coming out.

Is there any way to filter out most of the sediment, and when should I filter it? (bottling, before secondary, etc...)
I was thinking about using a coffee filter, unless anyone had any better suggestions. I just dont have a great idea about how that would work.

Also, I know it is a hefeweizen, its supposed to be unfiltered. Am i committing a taboo by even attempting to filter this? I am not trying to strictly follow the german style (or i wouldnt be filtering it),
I just want to know what I would be taking from the beer by filtering it.

You made the style like it's supposed to be! My vote - do nothing. If you filter your beer in any way it will no longer be a 'hefe'.

atarlecky said:
You made the style like it's supposed to be! My vote - do nothing. If you filter your beer in any way it will no longer be a 'hefe'.

You're absolutely right, but I didnt brew this beer with a hefe in mind.

I was actually just thinking about filtering half just to see the difference. half hefe, half wheat.

Well, my real problem is that my girlfriend (and college women in general i gather) don't like the beer unless it looks clean and isnt bitter. Hence the purpose behind this very sweet and mellow batch.

If you filter a hefeweizen you end up with a beer called a krystalweizen (I probably haven't spelled that properly). You will lose a bunch of those nice yeasty flavours but it will still be a good wheat beer. You will most likely have to force carbonate the beer as well - removing the yeast means you can't bottle carbonate.

I brewed an American wheat with this yeast as well (Wyeast 1010). After 3 weeks in the bottle, most of the yeast dropped out. By carefully pouring from the bottle, you can leave most of the yeast sediment behind and get a fairly clear beer if you wish. However, many people prefer to swirl and pour the sediment into their glass to get a true hefe appearance and character.

How long has it been in the fermenter? If less than 3 weeks, you're jumping the gun. If you really want a clear beer, brew yourself a blonde, cream ale, or similar and use a yeast that is known for flocculation "HIGH".

Don't filter.

JGlove said:
You're absolutely right, but I didnt brew this beer with a hefe in mind.

I was actually just thinking about filtering half just to see the difference. half hefe, half wheat.

Well, my real problem is that my girlfriend (and college women in general i gather) don't like the beer unless it looks clean and isnt bitter. Hence the purpose behind this very sweet and mellow batch.

You could try making cider next time... that's always a hit with the better half.

Coffee filters don't work. To filter a hefe, you'll need a cartridge or plate filter and kegs or a pump.

Frosted mugs might be the solution. Or squeeze a little lemon juice in and blame that for the haze.

Bobby_M said:
How long has it been in the fermenter? If less than 3 weeks, you're jumping the gun. If you really want a clear beer, brew yourself a blonde, cream ale, or similar and use a yeast that is known for flocculation "HIGH".

Don't filter.

its only been a week, I usually do a one wk primary and one wk second. I had a bad experience leaving beer in the primary for 2 weeks and doing a 1 wk secondary. the yeast tasted terrible, and it was all soaked up in my beer. I couldnt get it out. (though, now that the beer has aged some, it tastes much much better.

but its not really the yeast that I am looking to get out. its mostly sediment thats all up in the beer. I think its grain soot left from my mash and from the honey.

david_42 said:
Coffee filters don't work. To filter a hefe, you'll need a cartridge or plate filter and kegs or a pump.

Frosted mugs might be the solution. Or squeeze a little lemon juice in and blame that for the haze.

allright i dont have any of those things. I'm not gonna try that hard to get the stuff out, i was wondering if anyone had any experience doing it cheap and easy. but if the process is neither, ill get over it.

Honey takes a lot longer for the yeast to eat. A hefe uses a low floculation yeast and that style uses 50 to 60% wheat and so it will have a yeast haze for a long time. I have placed hefe in the serving fridge on tap and it was there for 2 months and it had no honey (not true to style) and it looked and tasted just as good as it ever has and still had the same haze. The yeast was WLP300. You should not have to stir up the yeast to see it in the beer. A good hefe is light and fizzy with a little malt taste. If you want a nice light clear beer then a 40 point cream ale would be very good and hop it lightly at 15 to 19 IBU. Use WLP001 or Nottingham dry yeast.

I don't know any experienced brewers here that move their beers out of primary after only a week. I personally stick to about 10-14 days minimum. Then if you want it clear, go to secondary for two weeks. Bottle, wait 3 weeks, then chill for a few days before pouring. I know, that's almost 2 months but...

4833-P1110533.JPG

I know I keep posting this pic, but it's perfect for these "filter" threads.

Back