Questions about fermentation vessel ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kvetch

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am new to this but have been researching thoroughly for months. I have the boiling and mashing and electrical equipment all planned out and am very happy with this side of things.

The fermentation side of things has me in 2 minds though. Basically I have the option of building a conical at a good price using a food grade HDPE conical with stand. I also have the old option of a PP bucket.

Basically my plan if using the conical would be:

Dump yeast from 1" ball valve or butterfly valve at the bottom of the cone once primary fermentation is complete. Leave the beer for a further 1-2 weeks to secondary and clear out. Come bottling day my plan was to do a yeast dump, and then pour my priming solution into the fermenter. I would then give it an hour or 2 for any sediment stirred up by the priming solutions to settle, and then bottle directly from the racking port on the conical.

My plan if using the bucket would be to leave the beer in for 2-3 weeks avoiding secondary altogether. I would then pour my priming solution into a bottling bucket, and syphon rack from the fermenter into the bottling bucket. Finally I would syphon from the bottling bucket into the bottles.

I am looking for your thoughts on these 2 fermentation equipment ideas and methods. As far as I can see the advantage of the conical is being able to secondary after the yeast dump, and also not exposing the beer to as much air as I dont use a secondary vessel or bottling bucket. It just goes straight from conical to bottle. The disadvantages I can see of the conical as that it is more expensive, and that adding priming solution to it means possibly having a little more bottle sediment due to having no bottling bucket.

I have the money for both so thats not my major concern here, my major concern is I dont want to go with a conical if the cons of it against a normal bucket outway the pros. Any thoughts?

Back