Questions about adding fruit to lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtejedor

Reaction score
So I have my first lambic sitting in the closet for over a year now. It is really really funky however not very sour at all. I think the alcohol got a bit too high for it to really sour (I think it is sitting around 8% or higher IIRC). I though about adding some raspberry puree to get some tartness into it. My questions is how much flavor will be left over or will the bacteria just kind of break down whatever flavor contribution the raspberries would give? Also this beer thinned out quite a bit sitting at 0.998 current gravity. Will adding this raspberry puree further dry it out? And finally how long should I let it sit on this fruit puree?

I wouldn't expect your gravity to drop much more than it already has, even if you add fruit.

In my experience, you'll be able to taste the fruit fairly well, especially with something strong like raspberry. You may want to concider adding part raspberry and part malto dextrine. The malto dextrine is an unfermentable sugar, but the wild yeasts should be able to break it down and add sourness without a problem.

Ya know I did add about a pound of malto dextrine I had boiled and cooled in a bit of water like 6 or 8 months ago. I think the alcohol maybe just got too high but at this point I have nothing to lose I might just let it go. I thought the fruit might add another dimension the beer seems to be lacking.

The souring bugs Pedio and Lacto, supposedly stall at about 8%. Maybe that is part of the reason it didn't sour much.

Latest posts

Back