Questioning Tastybrews priming calculator!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdowling56

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I ran my brew through Tastybrews co2 calculator and I'm having some problems with the results.

For my 5 gal batch of Wheat brew its telling me to use 6.5oz of corn sugar which seems like quite a lot to me. Especially considering I had a buddy just finished a heff that ended as bottle bombs with only 4oz added to his.

Its pretty cold in Cali right now so the brew is sitting right about 55-60 degrees in the secondary right now.

Does this sound right to you guys?

According to BeerSmith an American Wheat should be about 2.3-2.6 volumes. Using 2.4 @ 60F, it caculates 3.78oz of Corn Sugar. This is the same as what Tastybrews gives for a 2.4 volume beer. I notice Tastybrews only has beers of 3.6 vol and above for wheat when selecting by style though. So a better question is what type of wheat beer and how many volumes of carbonation are you shooting for?

2.4 vol @ 60F = 3.78oz of Corn Sugar
3.6 vol @ 60F = 6.46oz of Corn Sugar

According to BeerSmith an American Wheat should be about 2.3-2.6 volumes. Using 2.4 @ 60F, it caculates 3.78oz of Corn Sugar. This is the same as what Tastybrews gives for a 2.4 volume beer. I notice Tastybrews only has beers of 3.6 vol and above for wheat when selecting by style though. So a better question is what type of wheat beer and how many volumes of carbonation are you shooting for?

2.4 vol @ 60F = 3.78oz of Corn Sugar
3.6 vol @ 60F = 6.46oz of Corn Sugar

Its a pretty generic Wheat/pilsen base with some lemon and coriander added. (Not sure what type of style that would fall in to.

I'd certainly like it to have a strong head & effervescents given that i'm going for a light easy drinking beer.

This is my first wheat attempt so tbqh i'm not exactly sure what i'm "looking for" exactly.

Back