Question Regarding Metallic Off Flavor & Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Hey all...

My first 2 batches (AG) (brewed 1/12/12 and 1/19/12) are finished, bottled, and I'm drinking them. They're both Brooklyn Brew Shop kits. They're good, but have a metallic finish to them. After researching, I found that this could be due to the equipment that's used during the brew process. I do all of my boils in a stainless steel 12 quart pot, so it shouldn't be coming from that. However, when I first started out, I was using another pot (non-stick type pasta pot) to do my mashing in. Since this "mash pot" wasn't stainless steel, could this be where I'm getting this metallic finish from?

I've since moved to full volume BIAB in my 12 quart stainless steel pot for my 3rd batch and everything thereafter. Since I haven't had a chance to taste those yet (will be done bottle conditioning next week) I'm hoping that the metallic finish will be a thing of the past.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Could I be getting my off flavors from having used this pot to mash in?
-1-1.jpg

Would be most appreciated...Thanks!

Tasetybrew does not factor in unfermented residual sugar in the beer and a lot of brewers start out bottling their beer too soon. The result is always over carbonation. When I bottled I always racked into a secondary and more often than not this kicked off another very small and not very active fermentation. This was residual sugar being eaten by the yeast.

Tasetybrew does not factor in unfermented residual sugar in the beer and a lot of brewers start out bottling their beer too soon. The result is always over carbonation. When I bottled I always racked into a secondary and more often than not this kicked off another very small and not very active fermentation. This was residual sugar being eaten by the yeast.

Thanks for the heads up, but I primary'd for 3 weeks and took 3 consecutive matching FG readings. So I'm pretty sure fermentation was done.

Back