Question Regarding Mashout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemorgan

Reaction score
http://images.nationalenergycenter....n/kitinstructions/americanimperialipa(ag).pdf

This calls for 60min Sacch rest, which I understand. I usually then vorloff, and drain the tun completely, then add the rest of the water and let sit for 10min then batch sparge. This recipe calls for a mashout at 168 for 10min. Does this mean that before draining after the sacch rest I add this 168 water, let it sit and drain completely with no sparge. Confused..

You would normally want to bring the temp of the grain up to 168-170 for 10 min or so to stop the conversion process. i usually drain off the mash and then add my sparge water at an appropriate temp to get the grain bed to 168 and let it sit for 5 minutes or so, but you could also do this with an infusion to raise the temp. You would add the infusion to raise the temp, wait 5-10 minutes then drain the tun and add your remaining sparge water and drain again.

Lately I skip the mashout and just sparge with warm water. this may not be the norm, but it works for me and i have not noticed any ill effects in the final product.

If you were fly sparging so that your wort was at mash temperature for the length of the fly sparge you grains would continue to convert for that entire time leaving you with a more fermentable wort than intended so a mashout is performed to denature (kill the action of) the enzymes. If you batch sparge you don't need to leave the sparge water in for more than the time it takes to stir it well so you don't need a mashout. Just drain the tun, add the sparge water and stir like mad, then immediately drain it.

Yeah, that recipe is for fly sparging. You don't need to do that with batch.

Back