Question regarding Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
I am VERY limited in space but would like to build a fermentation chamber using a chest freezer very similar to this that I have access to:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_75729-33112...r&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=chest+freezer

It is large enough to store 1 carboy, Ale Pale, etc. but not more than 1. This is about the size that I can build with. I'd love a huge chest freezer or fridge but that isn't happening until we move (years down the line).

That being the case here is my question:

I brew every other week to keep my pipeline going. I typically leave the beers in the fermenter for 4 weeks then transfer to keg/keezer. I have researched all ways I know of to control fermentation and based on space and available resources. I am hopeful the above freezer would work, however, I would only be able to leave the brews in this chamber for 2 weeks before removing them and storing them in a closet at room temperature for the additional 2 weeks. Assuming I don't brew huge beers requiring more time is there anyone who would argue against creating this chamber based on the fact I have such a small window to store the brews? Most of the beer I brewed is either left in the primary or transferred to secondary after 10-12 days tops. So I am hopeful this would help me control the primary fermentation temperature, which I have been struggling with. I am thinking this will still be beneficial but am looking for feedback.

Temperature control is crucial during active fermentation, but much less so during conditioning phases. If you can keep your beer under good temperature control for a week after pitching, and then slowly raise the temperature to room temperature, then you'd be ideal.

Not at all. The important part, though, will be making sure that the temperature rises slowly. I'd consider investing a couple of extra bucks in something to enable you to carefully raise the temperature of the beer, instead of just pulling it right out of a 50F and tossing it into an 80F closet. Maybe a heat band, and you can heat it INSIDE the fridge until it gets to room temperature? Or a controller that you can adjust periodically for the fridge? Whatever seems like it'll work with your situation.

Well I have an extra Ranco unit I was planning on using. It is necessary to pick up an additional piece of equipment?

Back