Question regarding corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gec5741

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance when it comes to this. I am not really a home brewer. However I do plan to build my own kegerator into my basement bar that I am currently planning. I would like to do a dual tower but really only plan to hook up commercial beer like Miller lite along with something maybe not as generic but yet not my own brew. Seems like in any standard mini fridge You will only be able to get a 1/2 barrel or pony into it. So 2 corny's would be about the only way to get multiple beers. However can you get them filled with something like other then your own home brew like Miller lite?

They actually make standard (sanke style) 1/6 barrel (5 gallon) kegs that are pretty close to the same size as a Corney keg. Might be better off looking at those.

They actually make standard (sanke style) 1/6 barrel (5 gallon) kegs that are pretty close to the same size as a Corney keg. Might be better off looking at those.

Yes, you can buy comercial beer in the 1/6 barrel as well. I am not sure about miller lite or how many breweries distribute 1/6 barrels.

I just had a 1/6 barrel (5gal) of Fat Tire. Its almost the same size as my pin-lock kegs. I don't now how many big companies offer those, but I bet a lot of smaller breweries do. It works good because the Kegerator can fit 2 corny kegs. If I want to have a home brew and a commercial brew on tap I can get a 1/6 barrel to keep my corny company.

I have called around to my local brewerys. None would fill a corny as they say that they have agreements with their distributor's that do not allow them to sell any sort of keg except through them. They are happy to fill a growler though.

If you were so inclined you could always buy the 1/2 kegs and transfer them to 3 cornys. It would use twice the gas though.

I have called around to my local brewerys. None would fill a corny as they say that they have agreements with their distributor's that do not allow them to sell any sort of keg except through them. They are happy to fill a growler though.

If you were so inclined you could always buy the 1/2 kegs and transfer them to 3 cornys. It would use twice the gas though.

As I understand it there are also laws that vary by state that determine whether a local brewery can fill a keg. In Buffalo NY it's not a problem, but my brother can't get kegs filled (by law) where he lives.

Back