Question on yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanInMadison

Reaction score
Saturday, I brewed an Alaskan Amber clone (recipe from Brew Your Own magazine).

For some reason, the Wyeast smack pack never swelled much. LHBS were closed yesterday, so I couldn't get a new smack pack.

I decided to open the pack and pitch the yeast contents into the primary.

Yesterday afternoon, I remembered having a Nottingham dry yeast packet. I followed the directions and pitched this into the primary as well. This morning, there was more krausen than I've seen in my previous 3 batches.

1) Did I do the right thing or should I have waited to see if the initial yeast would have started the primary fermentation?

2) If I kept things sterile, will I be ok as far as beer flavor?

Dan

There's no way of knowing which yeast cells (Notty vs. whatever Wyeast strain you pitched) are doing the majority of the work, but yeah, you'll be fine as far as flavor goes. I love notty, use it all the time.

In the future, don't rely on the swelling of the wyeast packs to tell you anything except a general idea of the viability of the yeast. Make yourself a starter whenever using liquid yeast---one or two days prior to brewing, boil up some malt extract with water, cool it down, put it into a sterilized container, and pitch the yeast from the packet or vial in to it. This will give it a headstart and allow it to multiply to a much greater cell count.

And after pitching that into your actual beer wort, give it at least 3 days before you give up and resort to plan B...

I would have waited 72 hours. At this point, I'd bet on the Nottingham dominating the ferment, but it's a neutral yeast that should be fine for a Red.

+1 on making a starter.

I often have difficulty getting smack packs smacked (wow...say that five times as fast as you can!). On my last batch I had a smack pack that barely swelled, so I decided to do a starter in case it was bad. Well, when I went to pitch into the starter, I found that I had barely punctured the nutrients pack inside. So the reason it only "barely" swelled was because of the fact that I didn't get the nutrients mixed in. Once I did the starter it was obvious that I had good yeast. Chances are you had good yeast too. I bet both are acting on this beer, which could be the reason why your fermentation was more vigorous than usual. If I had pitched directly into the fermenter it still would have been fine, but the starter showed me that I definitely had viable yeast.

Thanks for the advice.

Just added a Yeast Starter Kit to my list of items to buy from AHB.

Back