Question on storing yeast from a starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jcorradini

Reaction score
I have read quite a few threads about yeast washing and yeast harvesting but haven't found the answer to a question.

I harvested some yeast from a few bottles of Bell's Porter, making a starter with some Amber DME that I had. I stepped it up one time and now have about 30 oz. of wort and about a 3/8" yeast cake on the bottom.

If I want to store this yeast for making a starter for a later batch should I save it as is, or should I decant the wort and save just the yeast?

Thanks for any help! :mug:

beds

Reaction score
If it's finished fermenting, as it looks like it may have, then just save the bottom. If there's still sugar in the wort, then save off a bit of that and when it comes time to use it again, it will start right back up once it's at temperature. That's what I do anyway and it works for many generations of the yeast. good luck, looks good!

remilard

Reaction score
You are going to lose 50% viability every 3 months if you refrigerate that (same as commercial liquid yeast preparations). Use it ASAP. If you want to keep it around for several months or years, look into yeast culturing.