Question on secondary fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just started my first gallon batch of hard cider. I used store cider, pasteurized, no preservatives. I added 1lb of sugar, pectic enzyme, and acid blend. I used red star champagne yeast, and threw it all in a bottle with a 3-piece airlock. It has gone for 18 days in fermentation, and i just auto-siphoned it in to a new glass bottle.

I am wondering if I let it ferment long enough? the bubbling had slowed way down and looked about done.

How long should I let it sit in the secondary fermentation? I have seen people say it needs any where between 2 weeks and 6 months.

What do I do after it has completed secondary fermentation? just drink it? or can i back-sweeten it? (never had any intentions of carbonating it, but am not sure)

It was probably finished but since you didn't measure the gravity noone can definitively answer your question. 18 days is a reasonable time. Mine are generally fermented within two weeks but I ferment at 18 degrees which is warmish.

Secondary for as long as you want. I only make cider in Autumn so I secondary through to the next season - so around 10 months.

You can do whatever you want after secondary. I don't back sweeten but there are a number of issues you will have to deal with. If you use fermentables for sweetening you will need to either keep the cider cold or kill the yeast otherwise these will ferment out dry.

The easiest way to backsweeten is just add a dash of apple juice when you serve the cider. You won't impress your friends as much but it saves a lot of stuffing around.

Yea i figured on this first batch i wouldn't mess with back sweetening. maybe on my next batch, appreciate the input though.

Back