Question on Pre-boil volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookwow

Reaction score
When draining from the mash ton should i stop collecting wort once i reach pre-boil volume or should i collect it all and then boil longer to boil off the extra.

I stop at pre boil but continue to collect runoff in a 1 gallon pitcher, that way if I have excess boil off I can adjust with the collected wort first before using water/DME to adjust post boil.

It is my understanding that you don't use more water in the mash tun than you need. You should be draining it all and coming away with your preboil volume. I don't use a mash tun so I'm not 100% sure though.

If you hit your Pre Boil Gravity correctly, then start your boil
You can check your Gravity again during your boil, and if too much has boiled off, you can always add this left over runnings back in to hit your post boil gravity correctly.

It is my understanding that you don't use more water in the mash tun than you need. You should be draining it all and coming away with your preboil volume. I don't use a mash tun so I'm not 100% sure though.

For those that fly sparge, it is common to get to pre boil volume and then still have leftover runnings.
For those that batch sparge, myself included, we get to our desired preboil volume (if we don't screw up)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you hit your preboil volume, measure your preboil gravity. If you have all the sugars you need in the kettle (you've hit your preboil gravity) then you are done. If not, carry on sparging (after checking that your runnings are above about 1.010) and boil longer to bring the volume down. But at some point you hit diminishing returns and it's easier to add some dme to the kettle to get your preboil gravity.

Thanks for the info. I batch sparge but ive only done 2 all grain and im still dialing in my equipment in beersmith so i have been slowly lowering my numbers but still end up a little over and didnt know which way is best.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I batch sparge but ive only done 2 all grain and im still dialing in my equipment in beersmith so i have been slowly lowering my numbers but still end up a little over and didnt know which way is best.

Thanks again.

If you are batch sparging, then keep it simple.
When you drain your first runnings, MEASURE the volume that you have.

SUBTRACT that amount from your desired pre boil volume.

THIS is the amount of water you need to sparge with.
The grain will not absorb any more water, so whatever you put in for sparging is going to come back out.

You will hit your pre boil volume every time with this method.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I stop at pre boil but continue to collect runoff in a 1 gallon pitcher, that way if I have excess boil off I can adjust with the collected wort first before using water/DME to adjust post boil.

Not sure you are doing it, but I would not advise adding unboiled running to the pot post boil. Aka all runnings must be boiled.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Not sure you are doing it, but I would not advise adding unboiled running to the pot post boil. Aka all runnings must be boiled.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back