Question on leaking ball lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a brand new keg that I got and it's the first time I'm using it. I don't know if what I'm seeing is just a limitation of the design (not using as intended) or if I have an issue. In the past I've used sanke kegs almost exclusively.

My usual process is to fill the keg, purge with CO2 then force carb at 30 psi for a couple days. Then I drop to serving pressure and it's generally 90% carbed in about 5 days. My question has to do with a serving port that is leaking. I filled the keg and purged. Then I ran the pressure to 30 psi with nothing attached to the beer out side of the keg. It was leaking ever so slightly at that pressure. The leak appeared to be around the base (not coming out around the poppet).

I took the valve off on the liquid side, used keg lube on the 0-rings, put it all together and ensured the valve was snugged up. It still leaked.

Later I had a thought. Is this just an issue because I'm pressurizing with nothing attached to the liquid out? It seems like having a line attached to the output would push down on the poppet spring, adding more pressure to the dip tube/dip tube o-ring.

Anybody have any insight, clues or tips for this?

Tapered spring needs to be installed correctly, wide side down. Check your O-ring, replace if you have one and don't over tighten. Not much else it could be, if dip tube is in good shape. Connections to the liquid out should not matter.

If the Out post is leaking at the base the problem will be found underneath the dip tube flange.
It is the job of the small O-ring under the flange to seal the flange to the threaded riser and seal the inside of the post as well.
If that O-ring is missing or damaged (even a tiny nick is all it takes) you'll leak gas until it's addressed..

Cheers!

Back