question on lager yeast ferment "quickness"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
I have a question that im sure some of you can answer.

I made my first lager brew on the 10th. My question is regarding the release of CO2 through the airlock.

I remember when i made the ales, it took off after 1 days and about every second there was the "blurp, blurp, blurp of CO2 being released very quickly.

I just wanted to know if lagers usually do that at a slower pace. I guess since a lager is fermented at a lower temperature the CO2 release would be slower than that of an ale.

on another note, i didnt make a yeast started with the dry yeast i used (Saflager s-23)

i had plans of making one as i was boiling, i could just whip one of since its about and hour and a half of getting the water up to a boil and what not.

but ive been reading guys making a "big starter" and a "small starter" and letting the yeast starter sit for a day before pouring into the wort.

i do see active fermentation so using the "sprinkle" method for the dry yeast worked. but how effective would it have been if i made a starter?

(i dont usually do them with ales as i use liquid Wyeast slap packs, and those seem to take right off within 12 hours.)

Lagers do take just a little bit longer to get going. And with dry yeast you want to re-hydrate it, not make a starter.

Lagers do take just a little bit longer to get going. And with dry yeast you want to re-hydrate it, not make a starter.

yeah. i think i got those two mixed up. i was thinking rehydrate but i typed in starter.

thanks.

I posted something very similar in another thread. I'm making my first lager and it has only fallen one point in 2 days. 1.051 to 1.050.

same here. i guess thats why lager means "cold storage" in german.

store it some place for a long, long time.

Welp, it seems to be making some progress. I took another reading a few minutes ago and it's dropped down from 1.050 to 1.048 (overnight)

holy $hit that is slow. what was your OG?

im making a coors light clone, OG is 1.044 i think the FG is 1.010

ABV should be 4.1%

Why not just let it do it's work and stop mucking with it taking samples.
In my case it takes about 3 weeks to finish from 1050 to 1010 at 50f.

Too much fooling around can cause numerous problems.. infection, aeration etc.
unless of course your techinique and sanitation in impectable ;-)

in no point did i mention that i have been taking samples and "mucking" with the beer.

but if i were going to take multiple sample, i would indeed make sanitation my top priority.

:)

Back