question on crystal malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
what is the difference between say crystal 10 and crystal 40 other than color? I have a brew I wanna try that calls for crystal 10 and all I have is 40...will it effect anything other than the color of the brew? I assume the higher the number the darker the malt?

They definitely have different flavors! The lower the crystal's number, the lower in color it is of course, but there are other differences too. The lighter crystal is higher in carmelly sweetness, while the darker crystals start to get more toffee flavored, even raisiny by the time you get to 120L.

It depends on what you're making if the 40L is a good sub. I like 40L in APAs and IPAs, but not in a cream ale, for example.

40 will have more caramel/toffee character than the 10 will. 10 is kind of candy-sweet, whereas 40 will taste more caramelized.

From the Austin Homebrew site:
Crystal 10L will create a golden color and has a candy-like mild caramel sweetness.

Crystal 40L will create a light red color and has a medium toffee-like caramel sweetness. Sometimes this grain is called Carastan.

You can use it, but you'll get a slightly different flavor. Crystal 40 won't be overpowering, just different.

Back