Question on Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Question, when making Apfelwein I know you need 100% pure apple juice with no additives or preservatives. Does this mean not pastuerized? Does it matter? I am making my first cider now and know that it is not pastuerized?

Let me know.

Thanks

Dave

BTW...I live in Ontario Canada and from what I can see cannot get Treetop. Anyone from Ontario know what to use?

I'm lucky enough to live by an apple orchard. I call the farmer and he has a truck with a giant tank of apple juice he stops off at my house and I fill up all my carboys at $3.60/gallon

If you don't have that convenience then I would suggest buying retail, and buying anything without preservatives. If you get pasteurized then you can chance it yourself, or if you get unpasteurized then you can pasteurize it yourself.

Pastuerized is fine. You can even have asorbic (sp?) acid, basically a vitamin C additive. I've used Mott's, Kroger brand, Walmart brand, and frequently up the abv with Seneca frozen concentrate. I've had great success and love the stuff. It can get rocket fuelish if you push the envelope with lots of added sugar or concentrate. Currently the batch I'm finishing is 11 percent or more, and while it gets you "there" the flavor isn't great. I'm shooting for around 7ish percent from now on.

Back