Question of steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
I currently brew extract batches. With most of my batches I steep specialty grains. What I do to steep is I bring the water up to the required temperature needed then add the grains to the water and allow them to steep for the required amount of time. Today I was reading a recipe written by northern brewer that has me questioning the way I am doing this. One part said " Pour crushed grain into supplied mesh bag and tie the open end in a knot. Steep for 20 minutes or until water reaches 170°F. Remove bag and discard."

This makes it seem that the grains should sit in the water until the water hits 170 degrees as opposed to sitting it in 170 degree water for 20 minutes. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or if they are or if it simply doesn't matter.

Nope, you are doing it right. It just really doesn't matter that much.

The recommended "right" way to do it is bring up to 170 then steep. But some directions will take a shortcut. In Charlie Papazian's book, he says the same thing. When he talks about steeping, he says steep at 170. Later in the book, he gives a quick and easy way to brew your first batch: I believe he even says leave the grains in until it's near boiling then take them out. So just steeping WHILE you're coming up to temp. So again, just a shortcut.

If you get into all-grain and mash your grains, then the temperature is extremely critical. However, for specialty grains like you're doing, it's basically a tea bag.

When I was doing extract batches I would cold steep as I brought the water up to temperature. Felt like I probably extracted a little extra color and sugars.

The *right way* is to bring the water up to 155 F. and add the grains, letting them steep at that temp for an hour, then removing them. It isn't that that temperature matters much for steeping the grains, that works anywhere from about 100 to 200 degrees but by learning to control the temperature for steeping like that, you are learning to mash if you should go all grain in the future. :D

Back