Question - Modification to Mini Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
I would like to remove this shelf, which I think is the freezer portion of the fridge, so a 6.5g PET Big Mouth Bubbler will fit with an air lock on it.

Can I just pull this shelf out?

I just snapped these pics before heading to work this morning. I thought the wire was connected to it but looking at the pics, I think that is the thermostat control.

However, looks like it does go to the condenser?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444649875.535420.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444649987.782285.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444649964.384291.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 231
No, you can't pull the shelf out without cutting the refrigerant line. At least, the one I had was like that.

However, in a mimi-fridge like that, I have unscrewed the front two screws of the shelf and very gently bent the shelf (and refrigerant line) so that it was parallel with the back of the fridge. I can't tell, but the wall moulding may make that harder for you than it was for me.

But if you can do that, it basically converts the whole mini-fridge into a freezer. With a temperature controller, you can set it for fermenting ales or lagers.

I have it set up with a temp control as a fermentation chamber. I'm good to go with buckets but was looking to use a 6.5g PET Big Mouth Bubbler and its 23" tall. Won't fit with the airlock on.

I wonder if the tray can be bent to allow it to clear the wall/side moldings?

Maybe, just be really careful. My mini-fridge, which I coincidently got back tonight, doesn't fit a bucket with an airlock either. So I rig a blowoff with a jar of sanitizer in the door's soda can rack.

That shelf is what cools the entire fridge, so you won't be able to just take it out. You can very carefully straighten it out, making sure you don't kink the coolant lines.

Back