Question: Hydrometer & Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurc51

Reaction score
I have two questions I was hoping to get some feedback on:

1. I used B-brite for 30 minutes thinking it was all I needed to clean my fermentor. But, I learned today at the local brew shop that B-brite is only a cleanser and not a sanitizer. I didn't know there was a difference before. So, I didn't sanitize my fermentor - am I screwed? The beer has been fermenting for a week.

2. I want to take hydrometer readings to determine when to bottle, but I can't figure out how to do it with a glass carboy? Do I have to siphon beer out into a glass? If so, don't I run the risk of contamination. I can't see any way to get the hydrometer into the carboy and actually get it back out - unless I'm missing something.

As always, thanks.

eurc51 said:

1. I used B-brite for 30 minutes thinking it was all I needed to clean my fermentor. But, I learned today at the local brew shop that B-brite is only a cleanser and not a sanitizer. I didn't know there was a difference before. So, I didn't sanitize my fermentor - am I screwed? The beer has been fermenting for a week.

2. I want to take hydrometer readings to determine when to bottle, but I can't figure out how to do it with a glass carboy? Do I have to siphon beer out into a glass? If so, don't I run the risk of contamination. I can't see any way to get the hydrometer into the carboy and actually get it back out - unless I'm missing something.

As always, thanks.

1. I would say that you're probably ok.

2. I take samples out with a tuekey baster. You could put them into an empty hydrometer tube and take a reading that way.

eurc51 said:

As always, thanks.

1). There is a great chance that you will be fine.

2). This is a really nice way to get a sample from either a plastic fermenter or a Carboy: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4356

I highly recommend getting a thief...kind of a one stop shopping experience for taking readings...best 8 bucks ever spent

eurc51 said:

As always, thanks.

1) It is good you learned about cleaning vs sanitation early in your brewing career. do search this site for much info on various materials and processes for both different and yet very important elements of brewing.

You will have great tasting beer is my prediction.

2) A wine theif or turkey baster noted above is essential. A hydometer reading is what we use to tell us the truth. Bubble rates in an air lock are nothing more than rumor.

When you have the equipment, and the sanitation process nailed down you will begin to want to take readings of your beer. The advantage to that is you will be dealing with truths when considering the data, and you will be able to taste your beer at different stages.

You are asking the correct questions. Brew on.

Latest posts

Back