Question for the Masters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlakaUS

Reaction score
How long should I cold crash mead to help it to clear? Do I need to add any chemicals to keep it from becoming a bottle bomb? Have two 1 gallon batches ready to go, one Blackberryand one Blueberry. Will the fruit make a difference?

Mead will typically clear on its own, just give it time.

If it's done fermenting and you bottle, it won't make a bottle bomb unless you backsweeten without killing the yeast.

The fruit will make a difference because they will taste different, although, the best fruit flavor is imparted when introduced in the secondary fermentation vessel.

Plus adding fruit, to a batch that hasn't been stabilised gives the possibility of refermentation with the extra sugars. Whereas, if you stabilise then add the fruit, the you get a more fruit tasting, slightly sweeter taste.

not sure if I qualify as a master yet, prob just out of an aprentice-ship level. I have about 30 batches under my belt. Cold crashing will help clear it. How Long? Just overnight should be suficient, then you rack it while it's still cold.

Most mead clear well on it's own. Many people use clarifying agents, my favorite is Sparkloid. It is not really adding that many chemicals as the chemicals in question do fall down into the sediment and rack out.

As mentioned many people use Postasium Sorbate to stop the yeast from multiplying, the yeast then dies after a few days as that it the life span of a given yeast cell. And others use combinations. Also simply racking works with time.

In the winter I have cold crashed and then racked. But honestly, I don't have a large empty fridge free so I can't do it the rest of the time. Be patient, it will clear. If it looks like there is about 1/4 inch sediment, rack it. For some reason when you rack it, leaving the sediment on the bottom, it clears quicker than when you don't. I think that the reason is that you have the sediment removed and thus less of a disolved solution and such the solution can settle more. It's an odd effect. I don't have the science to fully understand but it works.

Time, racking, sometimes clearing agent and patients.

Also if you have a fruit batch adding pectic enzyme helps wonders, I like to just add it to the juice, or puree, up front when I can.

Matrix

Latest posts

Back