Question for second brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
My first brew seemed to go pretty well, and its bottled now. I boiled 3 gallons of water, poured into a glass carboy without filtering anyting, and then added water to fill the carboy to 5 gallons. (I marked every gallon on the side of the carboy with a sharpie). I went from the carboy to a bottling bucket (some loss but didn't seem like much), and then to bottles. I ended up with 19 x 220z bottles and 6 x 12 oz bottles. This comes out to about 490 oz (3.8 gallons). I knew that i probably wouldnt end up with 5 full gallons, but this seems lower than I thought. My FG was also a little higher than i thought, maybe for the same reason.

Any thoughts on what I should be doing to get closer to a final 5 gallons of beer?

I can't think of any way you could lose over a gallon of beer without spilling a lot of it. You normally won't lose more than a 1/2 gallon to the bottom of the carboy.

I don't know if you dumped EVERYTHING that was in your pot to your carboy. I wouldn't do that in the future - leave the residue at the bottom of the pot behind

Yeah, i didnt mean to dump everything, but i did. The funnel filter popped out right when i started to pour, and i just kept going.

Back