Question for PS3 Owners...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I asked this on the freakin' PS3 forums, and nobody had an answer for me, so I come to the place that always answers my questions...HBT.

Word.

So, here goes. My old DVD player from like 8 years ago has a memory (for up to about 8 discs at a time) where, if you stop the movie in the middle or eject the disc, next time you put that disc in, it will remember where you were and give you the option to return to that point.

From what I can tell, though, for all its technological marvel, the PS3 doesn't have this feature. Am I crazy, or just overlooking a setting...or, is it true? :confused: If so, F Sony.

I don't think that I've ever owned a DVD player that operated in that fashion and I've owned several. I don't know that movie DVDs have a unique identifier--- I wonder how your player knows which disc is which.

I don't have a PS3 at home but I can try it on Monday when I go tot eh office.

My old Kenwood CD changer in my F-150 (Gone,but not forgotten) had a feature like this. It would remember up to 100 discs, and I could program the titles and tracks for each one. Even after you removed the 12 disc cartridge it would remember those discs, for when you loaded them again. It was such a PIA to program that I only did a dozen or so discs...

Matt

PS3 DVD support is disappointing. My cheap-O $29.00 DVD player will play DVDs in NTSC or PAL, DVD-R, Video CDs, DivX, etc... Playstation 3 plays Blue Ray and NTSC DVDs only. Disappointing since I have a lot of bootleg and import DVDs in PAL format that it won't play at all. Fortunately its not difficult to just have the DVD player hooked up as well.

ma2brew said:
My old Kenwood CD changer in my F-150 (Gone,but not forgotten) had a feature like this. It would remember up to 100 discs, and I could program the titles and tracks for each one. Even after you removed the 12 disc cartridge it would remember those discs, for when you loaded them again. It was such a PIA to program that I only did a dozen or so discs...

Matt

Yeah-- buddy of mine has a 300 disc DVD player that the DVDs just live in and he can program the names of all of them in it. It's something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-300-DVD-CD-Carousel-Player-Disc-Changer-Jukebox_W0QQitemZ260206671932QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL080125139a25403

Works out really cool for him since he keeps all his a/v in a basement closet and pipes the output to whatever TV he's watching.

But that's not quite what it is that the OP is describing: he's saying that he can watch part of a movie, stop it and put another disc and watch part of that, then put the first one back in and it will pick up where it left off where he watched previously.

That's a neat feature- I've just never seen that on a DVD player before.

But can it do that for more tha jsut the last one? I'm puzzled as to how a dumb appliance (not a PC) would be able to identify the discs.

kornkob said:
But can it do that for more tha jsut the last one? I'm puzzled as to how a dumb appliance (not a PC) would be able to identify the discs.

Yeah, I'm no techie, but this Philips DVD player is from, I dunno, 2001 maybe, and it remembers up to 8 discs. So there's gotta be some kind of ident.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it only had memory for ONE disc. Y'know, I watch half of a movie, the wife falls asleep, I turn it off, eject the disc, put in a game and play, then the next day when I put the movie back in, it remembers where we stopped. If a $75 player from 7 or 8 years ago can roll that way, the PS3 should too.

I have an old sony 5 disk dvd player. (prolly 02 ish) It has this feature, suprised ps 3 lacks it. To be honest it bugged me, I always like the menu to be 1st.

chickenlips said:
I have an old sony 5 disk dvd player. (prolly 02 ish) It has this feature, suprised ps 3 lacks it. To be honest it bugged me, I always like the menu to be 1st.

The menu was still first on mine. It loaded up like normal, but if there was memory for that disc, it would flash a little "play" icon in the corner of the screen for about 10 secs when you first turned it on. If you didn't press anything, it would go to the top menu as normal, but if you hit "play" while that icon was on the screen, it would revert to the place you left it. Pretty slick, IMO, and I cannot believe that the PS3 doesn't have it.

Back