Question for Pitching yeast for smaller batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larkinm21

Reaction score
I tend to brew in 3 gallon batches, since It allows me to brew more often have a few more styles on hand. Up until now I have only used rehydrated dry yeast. But for my next batch that I will be doing I want to use liquid yeast. I was going to use white labs without a starter but my estimated OG is 1.085. I was wondering if anyone thinks that it should be fine to pitch straight since it's a smaller quantity or the higher gravity will still be too much with using a starter or an extra vail of liquid yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could use some online pitching rate calculators but I would guess that's probably borderline, could go either way.

Yeah, I actually jut can across mrmalty again. I can't believe I forgot about it. Thanks for the help you two

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why not just make a starter larger than you need and save half of it for another batch. DME is cheaper than yeast.

Back