Question for mod'ing into kegerator - any help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So I know there are a few brands that are good, specifically Sanyo, Danby, etc, and I was wondering this: If I want to do this slowly and not buy everything at once, could I use just picnic taps inside the fridge initially. Obviously this would mean having to open the fridge for each pour, but it will save me the trouble of drilling a hole, buying a tower, cooling the tower, etc. I know it's not as nice looking, but for the time being I think it would work. Also, I am only renting the house we are in right now and foresee us moving to Hawaii in 2010, so I could probably resell the fridge easier if I did not turn it irreversibly into a kegerator. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Jason

wilserbrewer said:
Picnic taps work great! Nothing wrong w/ them. Sure not as pretty as a nice tower, but mine pour well and work fine!

So with this set-up, I would need just the fridge with the CO2 tank and regulator, corny kegs, and picnic taps? I have 2 corny kegs that my step-dad gave me from his work, but they are kind of old and beat-up, so I will have to see if they still work. I might actually try this soon!

Any other thoughts, anectdotes, etc?

Jason

Gas hosing and disconnects, too, of course. I'm in the middle of my conversion, too. Well, the beginning, actually.

If you're planning on moving in a couple years anyways, why not just get a cheap $30-50 chest freezer or fridge off craigslist/want ads? You'd probably lose less money just throwing it out when you're done than buying new and selling in 18 months. You could take the gear out and bring it with you, plus it will teach you a LOT about making your next one.

keep checking craigslist. I got a sanyo 4912 for $90 a few weeks ago. Planning on doing the same thing as you (using picnic taps for a while, then upgrading). You can sometimes find the rest (kegs, reg, co2 cylinder, lines) for around $150-200 on CL also. Depending on how patient you are, you can find a cheap setup. Check http://www.rcbequip.com/index2.ivnu also.

Picnic taps work fine. It may not look as cool as a tower setup but one advantage is that it is easier to clean.

I've been using picnic taps and they work great. Sure is nice to pour draft beer.

Keeping my eye out for a double brass tower to match the brass hand and foot rails on my bar. I found this. With free shipping, I think it's a good deal.

Back