Question for Florida Panhandle Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Anyone frequent the McGuires Irish Pub and Brewery in Pensacola or Destin? I recently tasted a Scottish Ale of theirs at a brew fest in Tampa. It was excellent (I think best in show), and I've emailed them a number of times to inquire as to where I can purchase some, with no response. Anyone know if they sell this commercially? Or is it a brew pub beer only. Even better - Anyone have the recipe?

Yeah, I actually met the head brewer at the Escambia Bay Homebrewers St Patrick's Day party. He raved about my beer.

They just brew for in house consumption AFAIK.

I must have tasted 30 beers at the fest, and aside from the DFH 90 which I love, their Scotch Ale was really tasty. What a tease. Now I have to go to Pensacola, and wade through all the drunk, bikini clad, wet t-shirted, bare breasted co-eds, just to get a taste. Are we still talking about beer?

Having lived down there for ten years and homebrewing during my stay, I have to admit that McGuire's Scottish and Santa Rosa Bay Jefferson Nut Brown were the two I never tried to replicate because I too enjoyed wading through the bare breasted....co-eds just to get a taste. Some things just can't be replicated.

I stopped by McGuire's in Pensacola on my honeymoon and had some of their Red Ale. On my way out I inquired about taking a growler with me and they said they don't sell their beer outside of the pub. I believe they will let you take some of their yeast with you though if you are a homebrewer, but the brewmaster wasn't there when I stopped by.

McGuires is a great brewpub. I live near the destin branch (Stationed at hurlburt field). The head brewers are really helpful to home brewers they will show you around their brewery on request and they will also let you take home some of their proprietary yeast for free. They do sell one beer I know of outside their pub and that is their Irish red ale. It is bottled and sold in georgia. Ill be stopping by Mcguires tonight to have a few pints with friends before they head to the sandbox.

I stopped by McGuire's in Pensacola on my honeymoon and had some of their Red Ale. On my way out I inquired about taking a growler with me and they said they don't sell their beer outside of the pub. I believe they will let you take some of their yeast with you though if you are a homebrewer, but the brewmaster wasn't there when I stopped by.

In Florida, it's not legal to buy beer from a bar for consumption outside the premises. So no growlers in Florida.

I wonder if the guys who ran the old Panama City Brewhouse are the same ones as the McGuires guys (PC is 1 town over from Destin). The PC Brewhouse was the place that showed me what good beer was. They had $1 pints of freshly brewed beer from 4-6pm, and I started going at first cause it was cheap, but grew to love the "real" beer taste.

Man, that's awesome. As I recall, they had a light BMC-Clone, a Pale ale (which I thought meant "weak" at the time, hehe), a Red ale (tasty), a Nut Brown Ale and a Stout. They had seasonal stuff too. There was something they did that tasted so funny to me at the time, like spicy and odd. It might have been a hefe now that I think about it. And they did a porter that really made me look at beer differently. Ahhhhhh I feel like I'm talking about my first time!!!

As of yesterday they had a Classic Ale, Irish red ale, rasberry wheat, a porter, an Irish cream stout and a seasonal which was an Irish pale ale that tasted like an IPA to me.

McGuires is a great brewpub without a doubt and the headbrewer (Mike) is also an extremely nice guy. At the pensacola location they recently had a Cherry Doppelbock that was a really great beer, they had an IPA on tap that was good but was more on the english side as far as the style was concerned, I didn't enjoy it as much as the doppelbock.

Back