Question for First time Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ale to the Chief

Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle my first batch on Sunday and I've just one question. My equipment kit came with the bottling bucket that has a spigot and a bottle filler. So do I attach the bottle filler to the spigot and use that to fill the bottles or can I just fill them right from the spigot? Does it make any difference and does one way have any advantages over the other?

5 Is Not Enough

Reaction score
Hopefully the filler is a tube that sticks down into the bottle and has a little "pin looking thing" sticking out of the bottom that acts as a auto-shutoff when pulled from the bottom of the bottle.
I suggest you pick up a couple hose clamps as reassurance, but you'll probably be ok w/out.
The benefit of filling from the bottom(aside for auto-shutoff), less oxygenation. Beer stores much better when oxygenation is minimized. Then again, if you're like me, your first batch will be gone so quickly, you'll be more worried about why you didn't do 2 more batches this week than oxidized beer.:mug:

Nurmey

I love making Beer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The big reason to not use your spigot is oxidizing your beer. Also, trying to bottle with your spigot is a big PITA. You will over or under fill your bottles while trying to turn the spigot on and off.

When you use your bottling wand, it displaces just enough liquid to give you the right amount of head space in your bottle. Fill your bottle to the top, remove the wand and you have just the right amount. The automatic shut off at the end of the bottling wand allows you to start your next bottle without spilling beer all over the floor or messing with the spigot.

Latest posts