Question for Blichmann MLT Owners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i want to upgrade my igloo cooler to a Blichmann with their false bottom. I am trying to decide what size 15 gal or 20 gal. I primarily brew 10 gal with the occasional 5 gal batch. On Blichmann's site it recommends using a water to grist ratio of 1.5 qt/lb.

So you Blichmann owners do you guys use the 1.5 qt/lb ratio. Have you had any issues with using 1.25 qt/lb and it slowing the run off or getting a stuck sparge. Would you recommend getting the 15 gal or 20 gal for a MLT?

15 gallon is perfect unless you plan on doing a super high alcohol barley wine.

I've been using the 15 gal, but I don't really do high gravity beers. I also use the 1.25qt/lb ratio and have not had an issue. I make primarily 10 gallon batches and it works np.

I use the 15 for mostly 6 gallon batches with no problem, I did move the thermometer down so it would actually hit the mash. I usually am close to 2qt/lb and can recirc wide open if need be with no problem. I think if I did all double batches (11+ because I keg) I would want the 20.

_

Thanks guys for the input. I am going to go with the 20 gal and get an extra plug so I can lower thermometer if needed. I will post some pics after I get it.

Back