Question for all you green thumbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysteryHaus

Reaction score
I'm planning on starting a small vegetable garden. I was browsing the local greenhouse with my girlfriend yesterday and on a whim I bought jalapeños habaneros garlic broccoli and cauliflower plants. There's an old raised bed in the backyard and was wondering how I would go about planting. After I till do I just go for it and plant them or should I adjust the soil pH and treat it first? The garden has excellent sunlight exposure too

I've never checked my soil ph, but did throw some lime in last year.
Maybe get some composted manure to till in before planting.
Surely, someone with more gardening ability will chime in.

If there's weeds and grass growing in it now, peppers and what all you got will grow in it, too. Pull out the weeds and such by the roots. Turn the dirt. Plant.

You can add amendments like compost or composted cow or chicken poop. Add sand if it seems heavy, or makes gummy, pastey balls. That means too much clay.

There are some weeds but they're scarce so I'll toss in a bag of peat. Thanks for all your advice everyone! Hopefully I'll get a nice family of spiders to keep out the bugs

There are some weeds but they're scarce so I'll toss in a bag of peat. Thanks for all your advice everyone! Hopefully I'll get a nice family of spiders to keep out the bugs

You can usually find ladybugs & praying mantis egg cases at your lcl garden shop, I know Ace Hardware carries them here, so does Home Depot, not sure about Lowes. If all else fails, you can get beneficial insects here:
http://www.arbico-organics.com/cate...ts-organisms?gclid=CK6Mzv-FqMUCFQqDfgod9XwA2A
Regards, GF.

Plants are like anything else when it comes to Ph. My peper plants produced twice as much when the Ph was brought from 7.2 to 6.5. Pleas check it before adding any thing other then compost. Adding line or wood ash will raise Ph. What I've found for Ph in different regions is if you have hard well water your soil will have a higher Ph.
What I don't know is how to check it with my meter. The one I used in the soil just had a metal probe like a thermometer, you just poke it in damp soil and wait a few minutes. How do I use the one that measures liquid?

Don't plant you peppers close together of you will get weak Habenaro and hot jalapenos.

Thanks for the good tips gratus hottpeper and brauer. Gonna hit the nursery after work. I have a bag of compost would that work well with some peat moss? Oh and I just realized I need to clean the carb out on the rototiller which I probably won't get around to doing today. How long can my plants stay in the tray before planting? They're getting bigger and they look like they're itching to get those roots into the soil

A couple of things that will really help to jumpstart your plants:
http://www.lillymiller.com/labels/LillyMiller/09602190.pdf

The AI in Vita Start is indole 3 butyric acid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indole-3-butyric_acid
It's safe for use on plants for human consumption, I've been using it for years, helps to prevent transplant shock, & boosts growth.

Also, humic acid can help quite a bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humic_acid
I use this:
http://www.planetnatural.com/product/rich-humic-humic-acid/

Combined with plenty of organic matter (mulch/compost/manure/etc...) & well tilled soil & some attention from you, you should have a great garden.
Regards, GF.

I drink coffee everyday, coffee is 2% nitrogen, so I save the grounds and toss them into the compost along with the spent grains from brewing, leaves, garden weeds, grass clippings, apple leftovers from cider, kitchen waste (except meat items). I usually have a two piles going, a "newer" pile and and "older" pile. The older pile gets mixed into the garden soil when its ready or when I get around to it and then I start the next new pile and repeat the process. Each pile is about 4x4. Doing this will gradually build up your soil with nutrients and worms. I've never checked my soil PH , but think its a good idea.
Most soil will benefit from a lime addition. The pelletized lime is less messy and easier to apply. Lime is not fertilizer, but will help the plants utilize the fertilizer and nutrients in the garden. Miracle grow is a little pricey but works good, you mix it with water and apply with the watering can. When I dig up the garden in the spring, I wait a week or so after the initial tilling, then go back and do it again, removing as much weed material as I can. I use fabric weed block around individual plants to retain moisture and keep the weeds down, but can't really do that with row crops like lettuce or green beans.
Gardening can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Back