question about yeast fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
OK, so I brewed a Kolsch recipe I found which said to use 50% Kolsch yeast and 50% lager yeast. So I used WLP-029 and Saflager S-23 dry.

The fermentation temps for the Kolsch are 65-69f and it is said not to ferment well below 62. The Saflager is said to ferment best at 53f

I've been in the primary now for 5 days at 62, and am a few points yet above my FG. Should I lower the temp or raise the temp? Are there any bad things that happen with lager yeast at this higher temp?

Thanks!
-J

Wow, I've never heard of doing that. You would think that the recipe would indicate that if it was necessary. Where did you get the recipe?

My gut is that if you were supposed to do that, the recipe would say to add the ale yeast alone first, wait however long, cool it and add the lager yeast.

I have never heard of that either, so I dont know if my advice will be the best. I would lower the temp. Normally I would suggest raising the temp to aid fermentation, but if lager yeasts ferment too high they can put off esters that will not be welcome. There are no adverse effects to using ale yeasts too low (other than they go to sleep) that I know of.

So, in theory, you could lower the temp to the lager yeasts temp range and the ale yeast will go to sleep and the lager yeast will take over.

Sounds like it's going well as it is, I'd leave it alone until it hits the expected FG then give it a couple more days. That much fermentation after 5 days sounds promising.

Your lager yeast will ferment at higher temps but may not produce the ideal flavor profile - for a lager. I would expect it to come out fruitier than a classic lager but that's the idea here. Hope it tastes great!

Back