Question about Wyeast Roeselare Ale Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shigadeyo

Reaction score
I finally decided to brew a sour and brewed it two weeks ago. I pitched it with the Wyeast Roeselare Ale Blend. I was just curious about what to expect from the fermentation. I know it will be slow, so I was not expecting a large krausen. Instead, it has developed little bubbles here and there and an interesting slimy looking skin on the top with large bubbles that remind me of blisters or warts. Is this to be expected? Just want to make sure all is starting well for this LONG fermentation. Thank you!

sounds about right.

check out this thread for an idea of what you may expect, however all mixed fermentation's can be different!

Sounds like you have a pellicle, which is completely normal. This blend takes a long time to come around, usually 12-18 months. Have patience, and try not to sample it for at least six months.

I have found Roselare really needs 14-18 months and then have another beer to put on top of the yeast/bug cake. The second generation of Roselare tends to be more aggressive. I would also recommend tossing in some bottle dregs from some of your favorite sours. Brewing sour beer becomes pretty addicting.

Sounds like you have a pellicle, which is completely normal. This blend takes a long time to come around, usually 12-18 months. Have patience, and try not to sample it for at least six months.

I have found Roselare really needs 14-18 months and then have another beer to put on top of the yeast/bug cake. The second generation of Roselare tends to be more aggressive. I would also recommend tossing in some bottle dregs from some of your favorite sours. Brewing sour beer becomes pretty addicting.

Thanks. I appreciate it the information since this is my first sour rodeo. My plan was to have this ready for Christmas 2018! It will just sit in the basement doing it's thing until then. All I need to do is remember to check on the air lock every once in awhile.

If I have some good sours in the meantime, I will be sure to pitch the dregs straight into the carboy, too! Awesome tip. Thanks!

The pellicle has gone away, then nothing, and now there are a bunch of white spots on the surface. Hope that is okay. This beer has been quite interesting to watch over the past few months...

Yeah, don't sample often - keep the protective layer of pellicle/gas for as long as you can or else you run the risk of getting a vinegar bomb. A dropping pellicle is fairly typical, though, so don't sweat it. I also would venture a guess (without images) that the white spots are either off-gassing bubbles or yeast/bug rafts that have dislodged.

Also, I second what Brizzo said. If you're looking for a more aggressive sour profile, pitch the Roeselare blend from the beginning (as opposed to after primary fermentation), and use a cake from a previous batch.

Yeah, don't sample often - keep the protective layer of pellicle/gas for as long as you can or else you run the risk of getting a vinegar bomb. A dropping pellicle is fairly typical, though, so don't sweat it. I also would venture a guess (without images) that the white spots are either off-gassing bubbles or yeast/bug rafts that have dislodged.

Also, I second what Brizzo said. If you're looking for a more aggressive sour profile, pitch the Roeselare blend from the beginning (as opposed to after primary fermentation), and use a cake from a previous batch.

The beer was brewed July 4th weekend and was only pictched with a pack of the Wyeast Roeselare Ale Blend. It has not yet been sampled, but the guys that help brew it will be in town next weekend and we plan to pull a sample for the first time then. We are looking forward to it.

Here is a picture of the white spots that I mentioned:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmyt6m01oisg6w4/IMG_2258.JPG?dl=0

The beer was brewed July 4th weekend and was only pictched with a pack of the Wyeast Roeselare Ale Blend. It has not yet been sampled, but the guys that help brew it will be in town next weekend and we plan to pull a sample for the first time then. We are looking forward to it.

Here is a picture of the white spots that I mentioned:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmyt6m01oisg6w4/IMG_2258.JPG?dl=0

kind of tough to tell from the pic, but hopefully they're just yeast rafts and not mold! did you guys end up taking a sample? how did it taste? did the pellicle ever reform? you wont always necessarily have a pellicle in a sour/brett beer.

Brewed July 4th (4 months). I wouldn't even open it; there will be little to no souring yet. yes ... the argument is that each time you open a brew you increase the chance of infection .... but this is already infected. Whats's the risk? Risk is possible actobacter infection (vinegar). Agreed, this is extremely remote.

If I were brewing this, I'd just let it be and wait at least another 4 months or more before tasting ... probably a year.

But ..... There is minimal risk in sampling it. Ph will be low and will provide decent protection. Just don't be concerned if it doesn't seem to have developed the sour character you are expecting.

Back