question about Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
I brewed a Dunkelweizen on 14 Jan. It is still showing an active fermentation six days later at 68F. I don't think I've ever had a primary fermentation that I could actually see activity in the fermentation lock this long. In Dec, I brewed Ed's Haus Ale and it was done in about 3 days. This has slowed, but is still bubbling about every 48-seconds. The OG was off or I measured it wrong. OG was 1.040. Is this normal for this yeast?

Nothing that yeast does is "normal". I haven't had one fermentation act exactly the same as another. Six days isn't very long. Wait for 2-3 more weeks and check it again.

Only way to tell for sure is to take a reading.

Some German and Belgian ale strains are pretty powdery and will maintain an inch or so of krausen after fermentation is complete.

You could try swirling your carboy to knock the remaining krausen down into the beer. If it builds back up, chances are fermentation is still ongoing. If it doesn't, the yeast are most likely done.

Back