Question about Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsonLE

Reaction score
This past weekend I brewed an all grain kolsch kit. After reading how well Kolsch's ferment at around the 55-65 degree range, I decided I would try using a refrigerator that was just given to me for the first time. After waking up the next morning I realized that the kolsch was at around 39-40 degrees, but fermentation had taken off and it smelled pretty fruity. I know that Kolsch's are supposed to be fermented at around 55-65 degrees. Will I get any off flavors for lagering a kolsch from start to finish?

I don't know about that particular yeast but, if it's fermenting, I think your good to go. As I understanding it, the risk of fermenting too low is causing the yeast to go dormant. Overly-fruity characters are generally associated with too high temps, not too low.

I don't think it will finish at 39-40 degrees, if you are getting any substantial fermentation at all. That's too low even for a true lager yeast, which the Kolsch is not. If you are going to use the fridge, you will need to get a temperature controller. If you're electrically savvy, you can wire in a fairly cheap controller ($30-40). If you want to make it easy, look for the blue pre-wired Johnson digital controlers (A419). I bought mine for $75. Then you can control to within 2-3 degree total range.

My second Kolsch, which was all grain like yours just finished carbonating in the bottles. Very clean with a subtle wine like characteristic which is true to style. It's very tasty and I fermented at 60 on the nose. Brought it up to 68 for the last 3 days to let it finish up and clean up any diacetyl. Then lagered at 37 for 4 weeks. Yum!

Back