Question about WLP051 California V Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingBull

Reaction score
Hello,

Last night I made a 3 Liter yeast starter for a 12.5 gallon Black IPA (1.075 OG) that we plan to brew Saturday (basically 66 hours before pitching). I used 2 vials in the starter. I don't have a stir plate but I do shake it. This is in a gallon jar with loose foil over it.

I know it should have been a 4 liter starter but i didn't have enough DME.

Am I ok to leave this at room temperate until I am ready to pitch? I guess I'm worried about it taking off/making a mess after 24 hours.

Thanks!

You can. Or you could throw it in the fridge 24 hrs before you plan to pitch, then pour off most of the starter beer and pitch the cake. 3L is quite a bit of volume to add to your primary fermenter - I know if I added that much, I'd have to watch my blowoff bucket carefully.

I usually make my Ale V starter 48 hours ahead of brew day, put it in the fridge 24 hours before brew to get the yeast to drop, pour off most of the liquid the morning of brew day and let it come to room temp while I brew.

Thanks everyone! This leads to another question, (I will go the refrigerator route 24 hours before pitching), how do I know how much starter beer to pour off. Will all of the yeast be at the bottom? (there is a small layer of trub)

I do wash my yeast so i've seen the separation of yeast on top, beer, and trub on the bottom, at room temperate.

I use an Erlenmeyer an just watch the liquid pour off until i get uncomfortably close to the yeast layer and stop.

On a separate note, Ale V will not attenuate as well as a chico strain like WLP001 or US-05. I've used Ale V for at least 5 pale ales/IPAs and always want them a little dryer so I'm planning to switch to a chico strain...

Latest posts

Back