Question about Water Chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am currently an extract brewer and I plan on moving to BIAB for my next brew, as I make the move and I want to start focusing on water chemestry as well. I live in a city that pulls from 4 different water sources depending on time of year so the chemical make up is always changing. Obviously I don't want to try and use my water because I never know when they switch sources. My question is would I be better off using distilled water or RO water as my base for building my water recipe? I have read a bunch that using distilled water isnt a good idea but I don't know if that means period or just unaltered distilled water.

Distilled and RO water is fine to use as long as you rebuild the water to meet your recipe needs. Using the water without rebuilding it will not make good beer.

So distilled water would probably be best because I can be 100% sure there are Zero minterals in the water. If I use RO I would probably want to get it tested just to see what trace minerals are still present, correct?

I would think the mineral content of RO water is so little you might as well think of it, for all intents and purposes, as the same as distilled water.

There is a great discussion about water here. Caution: it's a little long.

The concentrations in typical RO water are in the under 5 ppm range. You could ignore those concentrations and consider it pure without much affect.

When starting with low concentration water, the most important thing is to get the calcium content up a bit. Read AJ's primer on water on this forum. It will get you started with the basics. Download and read Bru'n Water to move you further along.

I just downloaded the Beersmith 2 trial and it looks like the water chem tool is pretty sweet you can enter in your starting mineral values and select what profile you are trying to hit and it will tell you what you need to add to the water to get it close.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Beersmith when it comes to water chemistry or any other advanced brewing math.

It doesn't seem to accurately predict...well, anything...very often, unless it's super basic stuff. I've only used it couple times but I've read lots of people having issues with it on here. I would suggest looking up the formulas online and doing the math yourself.

Latest posts

Back