Question about transfer from sparge tun to boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been transferring for several years using a pump and 1/2" silicone tubing. My sparge tun is on a small table, lower and next to a larger table that holds my hot lauter tun and boil kettle; the pump is near the ground below the sparge tun. When I transfer hot wort from the sparge tun to the boil kettle, I pump up into the bulkhead on the bottom of my boil kettle, thus filling from the bottom up. This arrangement has worked fine up until now.

Now I want an easier way to vorlauf and test the wort for pH and SG without having to connect and disconnect the tubing. I thought that some threaded 1/2" OD stainless steel tubing, a threaded "T" connector, and a ball valve fitted to the "T" connector as a bleed-off valve would fit the bill.

My question has to do with where to place the bleed-off valve: mid-way, lower, or higher than mid-way? Does it make a difference? At first I though that mid-way would be fine, but upon reflection, putting it higher and closer to the level of the bulkhead might make more sense.

Below is a preliminary sketch of what I want to do. Apologies in advance for the roughness of the drawing.

EDIT: Just had an exchange with Bobby at Brewhardware.com, and he suggested a 3-way valve at the boil kettle bulkhead, instead.

19894683_1327672803996534_2222735620140579479_n.jpg

Back