Question about the Water used.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endovelico

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just reviewing all the steps for my first batch (partial boil) and trying to cut all loose ends, and one of the things that i was wandering about is the type of water to use.

For instance, if i use Bottled water to top off the wort, should i pre-boil the Bottled water?

Another thing that confuses me is that there seems to be people who differentiate between Bottled Water and Spring water. Where i live we do not have these differenciations when it comes to Bottled water, so i was wandering if theres a way to tell them apart?

Is there any difference when using one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

Just noticed i chose the worst possible sub forum to post this on.

Near the top of the page there is a search function. You can use either the superior Google search or the other one. Pick your favorite and type in water... Sorry to sound like an ass but this comes up every few days and all the info you could hope to recieve has already been posted many many times.

Near the top of the page there is a search function. You can use either the superior Google search or the other one. Pick your favorite and type in water... Sorry to sound like an ass but this comes up every few days and all the info you could hope to recieve has already been posted many many times.

My apologies then, i should have known better since i've been a lurker for this forum for awhile now.

I have tried Google but found nothing that could clear this up for me, I'll try the search function.

I always have used city tap water. I do have a very good water supply, though, with no sulfury smell or taste, and no chloramines. I also never boiled my top-off water.

I think the bottled water says right on the bottle "bottled spring water" or "distilled water", etc. You are fine with extracts with just about any type of water, as long as it tastes good.

My apologies then, i should have known better since i've been a lurker for this forum for awhile now.

I have tried Google but found nothing that could clear this up for me, I'll try the search function.

Yeah.. i came across like a bit more of an ass than i would have liked.... Sorry

I don't believe there is much difference between bottled and spring. Use whichever you can get your hands on cheapest. I've brewed for several years using bottled water and have never boiled it for topping off or anything else. I'm paying someone else to purify it for me when I use bottled.

As for being a lurker, just knock it off and start spouting off like everyone else. :)

I always have used city tap water. I do have a very good water supply, though, with no sulfury smell or taste, and no chloramines. I also never boiled my top-off water.

I think the bottled water says right on the bottle "bottled spring water" or "distilled water", etc. You are fine with extracts with just about any type of water, as long as it tastes good.

Yeah, thats the thing, i have read (i think in the Beer Advocate Forum) that Common Bottled Water is not good for homebrewing since it's almost like Bottled tap water; Spring water on the other hand is supposed to be alot better.

In my country i have never heard about these distinctions which is why i was mildly confused. It was my understanding that you only really needed to pre-boil tap water if you were going to use it in the wort boil.

Never crossed my mind that you didn't need to boil the top off water though. Makes sense though.

Edit: Answered by Nurmei, thank you.

Yeah, thats the thing, i have read (i think in the Beer Advocate Forum) that Common Bottled Water is not good for homebrewing since it's almost like Bottled tap water; Spring water on the other hand is supposed to be alot better.

In my country i have never heard about these distinctions which is why i was mildly confused. It was my understanding that you only really needed to pre-boil tap water if you were going to use it in the wort boil.

Never crossed my mind that you didn't need to boil the top off water though. Makes sense though.

Well, in the US, our water terms aren't always accurate. I'll give you an example. In the next town over, they have a company called "Crystal Spring" selling "bottled spring water". It actually comes from the tap water of Crystal Falls, MI. I guess technically, it's a spring if the water comes from underground, but it IS city tap water. Not even filtered.

There are a couple of distinctions I know of- one is reverse osmosis water. That has just about everything removed (like distilled water, I think) and is not great for brewing. Everything else is "bottled water" or "spring water" and I really don't think there is any difference at all, to be honest.

The rule of thumb is that if your water tastes good, it's good for brewing. No need to boil water that you're using for the wort boiling- I mean, you're boiling it anyway! Some people boil their water if using it to top up the carboy after the boil. That's probably a good idea if your water is "iffy" or if you have noticable chlorine in your water.

Yeah.. i came across like a bit more of an ass than i would have liked.... Sorry

Not at all, i'm a bit of a forum junkie, and even i get a bit ticked off when 40 different guys with < 3 posts ask the same question.

I actually got ALOT of my questions / fears answered just by lurking these forums.

The rule of thumb is that if your water tastes good, it's good for brewing. No need to boil water that you're using for the wort boiling- I mean, you're boiling it anyway! Some people boil their water if using it to top up the carboy after the boil. That's probably a good idea if your water is "iffy" or if you have noticable chlorine in your water.

Thanks for the whole response. This was also my understanding, however i have read some conflicting views on this.

Case in point:

Could pre-boiling my water make my brews worse? - Homebrewing - BeerAdvocate

You want the Chlorine gone before you add grain or extract. If the Chlorine is present when the grain or extract is added then it will bind and cause off flavors. No Chlorine and no off flavors.

This would make sense aswell for an inexperienced brewer such as myself.

The reason for pre-boiling tap water is to rid it of chlorine. Spring water isn't treated with chlorine. The problem though is a lot of water is treated with chloramine and you can't boil that off. Bottom line: don't worry about it.

Back