California Question about the history of the Maltose Falcons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slidingmike

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the homebrewing scene, and I'd heard that the Maltose Falcons are the oldest brewing club in the US, from San Francisco. So I looked them up, and it appears that they're a 100% LA organization now. How did that come about? Is there a Dashiell Hammett connection there too?

I'm honestly curious, and don't mean (or desire) to start a NorCal / SoCal thing, so just the facts, please!

As a rock climber, a dirtbag is someone who's dedicated his/her life to living pure & free & climbing all the time -- a somewhat enviable life for many who feel chained to their desks.

I'm guessing you mean something else!

As a rock climber, a dirtbag is someone who's dedicated his/her life to living pure & free & climbing all the time -- a somewhat enviable life for many who feel chained to their desks.

I'm guessing you mean something else!
Well then I guess I would call them 'hop socks'

Me personally, I'm chained to a desk with my mediocre homebrew. Brew clubs in general, and especially the long-lived, legendary clubs, are where it's at.

As far as Dashiells go, I'm partial to Dashiell Hedayat.

Hey, as the club's unofficial historian I can help answer some of that. The Falcons have always been LA based since the founding. (The San Andreas Malts were the main Bay Area club and were founded just a little after the Falcons, but I think they're mostly defunct now with the San Francisco Homebrewers Guild covering the Malts old area.)

As for why the Maltose Falcons for an LA club? Can't say for certain except that Merlin, our founder, had a love for all things old and was particularly fond of the book/movie. Besides, the pun is a lot easier than a beer based pun on a Raymond Chandler story. :)

Back