Question about the fermentation of my Belgian Quad.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisxxmyIPA

Reaction score
I made a belgian quad (AG). The OG (adjusted to include the sugar additions) was 1.119. The est FG (in beersmith) was 1.024. However, I did use 1/2 lb of caravienne and 1/2 lb of cara-pils, and I've noticed beersmith isn't great at recognizing the unfermentable sugars in a recipe. My gravity right now is at 1.040, and has been for about two weeks. This is after the addition of heat, champagne yeast, amylace enzyme, and yeast energizer. I got it to drop from 1.042 to 1.040 But now hasn't moved in about two weeks.

My question is - is this thing DONE? Or should I attempt to make a big starter and repitch?? BTW, I originally used Wyeast 3787.

I make big Belgains all the time and mine are never done in two weeks. Mine are more like 3 or 4 weeks in primary then 2 to 3 weeks cool crashing. Relax and give it some time. I use white labs 530 becasue thats what my local supplier has on hand. I've used the Wyeast 3787 to make Belgain dubbles in the past and never had a problem. Give it two more weeks and I think you can get the FG down into the high 20's.
Good luck

Hey guys,

My bad here. It's been going for a little over a month. It's those two weeks that I haven't gotten the grav to drop. It's looking like my answer is that my yeast went dormant and now I need to repitch.

Back