Question about temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daggs94

Reaction score
Hows it going, I'm a first time brewer and I'm planning on making 5 gallons of hard cider with Red Star Montrachet Yeast. I found the recipe on an older post on this site (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/) and it says to let it sit for at least six weeks at 74 degrees but my room is almost 10 degrees cooler. What can I do about that, could I still brew in that temperature? Would I have to let it sit for longer? Thanks for any helps!

Look up the specs of your yeast online. There is a temp. range and it's usually wider than the ideal temp.

I've never used that yeast but my cider ferments in the low 60's with several different yeast strains.

P. S. Cider makers don't call it brewing. Brewing is what beer makers call the process before fermenting. No big deal. F. Y. I.

When I need to warm up my fermentor, I wrap my down sleeping bag around it. Warms it up just enough. I know some people will also try and keep them in a closet, as the temp stays fairly consistent.

MarkKF, I have been "brewing" beer and wine and cider for almost three years, and no one ever thought it necessary to to tell me "You don't brew cider."
Instead of telling a brand new brewer his terminology usage is wrong, and having him think we are all d!cks, how about saying nothing of the sort? How about, "Welcome to a great website full of knowledgeable and helpful brewers of beer wine and ciders?" If BigFloyd, or Yooper, or any other member of this site would have said to me what you did to the OP, I would have told them, "F^ck off!", and never come back. I hope the OP doesn't do the same...

MarkKF, I have been "brewing" beer and wine and cider for almost three years, and no one ever thought it necessary to to tell me "You don't brew cider."
Instead of telling a brand new brewer his terminology usage is wrong, and having him think we are all d!cks, how about saying nothing of the sort? How about, "Welcome to a great website full of knowledgeable and helpful brewers of beer wine and ciders?" If BigFloyd, or Yooper, or any other member of this site would have said to me what you did to the OP, I would have told them, "F^ck off!", and never come back. I hope the OP doesn't do the same...

OK. Sorry. I've seen it before and thought I'd pass it along as others have. I could give two ****s what it's called. So I'll just **** off now.

Oops! I just said that the other day to someone- that "brewing" is a beer term.

I think it's because we're called "homebrewtalk.com" that folks thing we're only about brewing- but I was a winemaker many years before I started brewing.

I don't think we're being dicks to gently tell people that making cider is cidermaking, or that if they make mead they are mazers. I think it's nice, so they don't feel silly walking into a homebrew or winemaking shop saying they are "brewing sauvignon blanc".

Hows it going, I'm a first time brewer and I'm planning on making 5 gallons of hard cider with Red Star Montrachet Yeast. I found the recipe on an older post on this site (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/) and it says to let it sit for at least six weeks at 74 degrees but my room is almost 10 degrees cooler. What can I do about that, could I still brew in that temperature? Would I have to let it sit for longer? Thanks for any helps!

Anyway...............

Montrachet yeast has a wide temperature tolerance and will be just fine at 62-65 degrees.

It may take a bit longer to ferment out, but it should be just fine!

Back