question about sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard people say that cane sugar can give your brew some off flavors. I used it anyway on my first batch that is going now, simply because I couldn't find the corn sugar anywhere.

Corn sugar (mainly glucose) is a simpler type of sugar and ferments without adding flavor. Cane sugar (mainly sucrose), when used in large quantities, can create off flavors. This is because the yeast have to "invert" the cane sugar from sucrose into glucose and fructose, the process can leave off flavors in the beer. With corn sugar you have essentially already done this for the yeast and they don't have to work very hard, they can just go about their business of fermentation.
EDIT- Look for "Dextrose" or "Glucose," it is corn sugar

For wine, I always use regular cane sugar. I use dextrose (corn sugar) if it's needed in beer, but rarely. I only use corn sugar in beer if it's a big beer and needed, or for priming. I use sugar all the time in fruit wines, as do other winemakers.

It really depends on what you're making.

Back