Question about submitting a beer for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd suggest entering it under 22B

22B said:
Any style of beer can be smoked; the goal is to reach a pleasant balance between the smoke character and the base beer style. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., ROBUST PORTER) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., “PORTER” OR “BROWN ALE” IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF WOOD OR OTHER SOURCE OF SMOKE MUST BE SPECIFIED IF A “VARIETAL” CHARACTER IS NOTICEABLE.

Sorry I didn't really explain myself well. It is for a local brewery, they are looking for a robust porter specifically and only that. So I was wondering if I could submit a smoked porter for that or if I should go a different route.

It sounds like they are looking for entries in a contest to consider for adding to their lineup. Is this accurate? If so, then you should either enter what they are requesting, or make it plainly obvious that you are entering something else. In other words, don't enter your smoked porter without telling them up from that is what it is. However, if you enter it and notify them, then they can choose to open your submission or not. In that case, there would be nothing wrong with submitting it.

Keep in mind, if they are looking for a robust porter recipe for their lineup they are unlikely to be interested in a smoked porter. If it were me and I requested a specific style submissions alone, then anything else would go unopened.

If they are simply sponsoring a Robust Porter Only competition, then submit a robust porter.

That's what I was thinking. Yes they are going to put the winner on tap, however I'm not sure for how long, they are a new brewery that will open in a few months. I just really like my smoked porter and was planning to brew it until I read the guidelines. I can rework my recipe I was just hoping I might not have to. Thank you for confirming that. I will now start working on my robust porter.

The tough part about those types of competitions, is that they are looking for something specific, and just decided to reach out instead of experimenting. Luckily for you, they've already told you what style (we entered one that was looking for a DIPA but they never told anyone... ).

It depends on what you want to accomplish:

1. Win: Create a recipe that fits into the style well that will sell a lot of beers.
2. Express Yourself (this is me): Enter whatever the hell you want and impress the **** out of them, before they go with someone else ;D

If the competition is being judged to BJCP's guidelines for a Robust Porter then entering a smoked porter will likely not score very well. If it's a competition where the brewery is going to pick a beer to brew and it's not strictly BJCP, then enter your beer BUT specifically call out that is a smoked porter. Otherwise your judges are likely going to be confused and may not score you well.

Darwin18: YEP...to what he said! If you don't adhere specifically to the style as outlined by the BJCP for 12B, you won't be scored well if there is a smoked profile taking away from the roasted tones that should be dominant. You might be able to get away with a very small amount of smoked malt, but I wouldn't add it for the 12B if it is a competition beer.

If the competition is being judged to BJCP's guidelines for a Robust Porter then entering a smoked porter will likely not score very well. If it's a competition where the brewery is going to pick a beer to brew and it's not strictly BJCP, then enter your beer BUT specifically call out that is a smoked porter. Otherwise your judges are likely going to be confused and may not score you well.

Darwin18: YEP...to what he said! If you don't adhere specifically to the style as outlined by the BJCP for 12B, you won't be scored well if there is a smoked profile taking away from the roasted tones that should be dominant. You might be able to get away with a very small amount of smoked malt, but I wouldn't add it for the 12B if it is a competition beer.

Check with the brewery but it sounds to me they are looking for a good beer to put on tap, specifically a dark beer, specifically a robust porter. They seem to be using the style guidelines as they are well defined, not because they will judge to style specifically.
Are you allowed to include any additional info on your beer, do you have to submit your recipe, what feedback (if any) is offered?
What is the base porter like if you strip out the smoke - is it on the lines of a robust? If it is and it is a hell of a beer (and the smoke is not overpowering for the average Joe) I would enter the Smoked version (just be sure to somehow let them know to expect some smoke). For what it is worth it could be the point of difference to win the compition over all the other "standard" robust porters :D

You just never know who is deciding/judging your beer. Some might applaud you for doing your version, others might not like it. You just never know! Perhaps take out the smoked malt and go with that...

Lolo Peak? If so on the entry form you have to give your recipe so they should be aware that there is smoked malt in there. One of the judging criteria is Uniqueness - I would count a smoked robust porter in sea of standard robust porters as unique :D
It does seem to me that it is about finding a good beer for them to sell, not finding the best example of a robust porter - They don't have any info on their webpage on their beers but I would guess they already have the standard line-up of Blonde/Kolsh, Pale ale, IPA, Hefe and are looking for something else for the opening.

...all this is dependant on my correct guess of brewery :D

Lolo Peak? If so on the entry form you have to give your recipe so they should be aware that there is smoked malt in there. One of the judging criteria is Uniqueness - I would count a smoked robust porter in sea of standard robust porters as unique :D
It does seem to me that it is about finding a good beer for them to sell, not finding the best example of a robust porter - They don't have any info on their webpage on their beers but I would guess they already have the standard line-up of Blonde/Kolsh, Pale ale, IPA, Hefe and are looking for something else for the opening.

...all this is dependant on my correct guess of brewery :D

Well good guess or small world... and those were my thoughts as well, I just didn't want it to hurt my chances by stepping out of the box a bit.

*edit*
So I just emailed the brewery and the owner emailed me back and said to do it even though it stretches the robust style a bit. So I should have done that in the first place. Thank You all for your responses

Back