Question about steeping/partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
Forgive me. I'm new to the mashing thing but I have a question

If you hold the temperature of a steep at 155F for one hour wouldn't this be the same thing as a partial mash?
I understand that it would be a bit dilute in there but the concept is the same right? Sometimes I see instructions to steep at 155 for an hour and sometimes just ramp it up to 170 and take out your bag o goods.

what gives?

Steeping is usually 150-155 for 30 min., either in cooler or sometime I just cover my brew pot and let it sit. I have also done this on the stove and just left the heat on low and monitored the temp.

Mini mash or AG is typically 155ish for an hour, usually accomplished in a cooler.

The dilution is a big factor, but not as big as what is in the steeping bag. Grains specified as "steeping grains" do not have the enzymes to convert their starches to sugar. By putting any grains in hot water, you will steep out certain flavor components that will add to the character and color of your beer, but the amount of character they add will be limited with just a steep. If you add "base malt" grain, such as 2-row, then there will be a supply of enzymes that will start converting the available starches to sugars. If you do that, you will start to see more character in the beers, that will make you add more grains and hold the temperature more steady and adjust the volume/ concentration to optimize the enzyme activity, and BOOM, there you are in all-grain land. A junkie like all the rest of us.
I hope you heed my cautions and, more importantly, that your question is answered .

Back