Question about "steam" fermentation process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkn09

Reaction score
I'm planning on harvesting some yeast from a case of Jack's Abby I have, but don't have the equipment to properly ferment at lager temps. If I were to go the route of a steam beer/Cali common, what sort of fermentation time/temps would I need to shoot for? I've done several ales near 70*, and usually 2-3 week fermentation time. Is the longer time to make a lager a function of the lower temps, or does the yeast need that time to clean everything up regardless of temperature?

Is this an actual steam beer strain? If so 60-65 for a week or 10 days is fine.

Lager yeast ferment slightly slower, but not as slow as you think. For a traditional lager I usually ferment at 48 for 7 days then do a diacetyl rest @ 65 for 3 days, then cold crash and cold condition in the keg. The cold conditioning is an important part for lager-like smoothness. Since the steam beer strain tends to floc out easily, you can probably cut a few weeks off of the cold conditioning kegs or bottles.

Back