question about starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
I have quite a few extract batches under my belt and one all grain BIAB and have never used a starter for yeast. I guess I really dont understand the need since Ive made many great beers with just dry yeast. I know how to make a starter but have a few questions, 1. Dry vs starter whats the difference? 2. No bubbler on the starter but use foil? first how do you place the foil, why use foil?, how do you know your yeast are viable without a bubbler? Sorry to ask some noob questions but if it will help my brewing Im intereted just want to have a "FULL" understanding on the subject before I do.

1) The question really comes down to dry v. liquid yeast. There's usually a much higher cell count in a dry yeast packet than there is in a liquid yeast vial/smack pack and, especially for bigger beers, you want a high cell count for good fermentation. The starter simply gives you a cheaper way to get higher cell count out of liquid yeast than simply buying multiple vials/packs. It also gives you a great way to ensure that the yeast in your vial/pack is actually healthy. Lots of folks like to use the liquid strains, if only because there's so much more variety than there is in dry strains!

2) Just take some foil, and loosely cover the top of the starter container. Bubbles don't necessarily tell you anything about fermentation or viability. You may notice a krausen forming (tends to happen quickly and for short periods in my starters, thus far), which is a strong indicator of fermentation. But most importantly, after 24-48 hours, you should be able to see a good yeast cake forming in your container.

The reason for using foil instead of an airlock+stopper is so that CO2 can escape, and atmospheric air can enter. Shaking or stirring up the starter vigorously is beneficial for yeast propagation. The foil is an easy way to allow this gas exchange to happen.

Note that this is unlike making beer in the sense that you want to intentionally oxidize the starter while it is growing (often- every time you walk by it).

Back