Question about starters and aerating the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koaps

Reaction score
So I made a pretty big wheat beer yesterday, OG was at 1.080, and after all my struggling with decoctions, not hitting target temps, and basically not getting to pitching until about midnight(full day event), I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching.

I normally do, but this time I forgot in my rush to get things finished up so I could clean up.

I did do a decent starter, 1/2 cup DME to 4 cups water and 1/4tsp fermaid-k for some WLP007, I also gave the starter a good shake after decanting it.

My question is, is aerating the wort mainly for when you are pitching a smaller dose, like from the WLP007 tube, to help the yeast get going, and I'm ok cause I had the starter and gave it pretty good shake? Or should I always aerate, i'm debating on getting a air pump setup from morebeer.

I checked it this morning and there was some bubbler activity, but since it's in a bucket I didn't want to pop the lid to check for a krausen.

According to Mr. Malty, you would have needed either a larger starter or more yeast packs to get to the correct pitch rate. IF you have a stir plate, you would have gotten away with a smaller starter, but you would have needed more packets with the 1qt starter you opted for.

I would suggest consulting with Mr. Malty before you brew next time. You want to get at least close to the amount shown there. Especially with a high OG batch. IF you use a pure O2 infusion system, you could use smaller starters/less packs, but not if you're just shaking the crap out of the wort. Since you did neither, there's no saying what you'll end up with. You could be looking at needing more time to let the yeast get rid of off flavors. If it was me, I'd plan on leaving the brew on the yeast for at least 4-6 weeks. Taste it before you decide to move it anywhere.

Thanks...

Normally I do aerate, just missed it this time.

I was planning on leaving it in the primary for a month, so maybe I'll keep it in there for 6 weeks instead.

I still have at least one, maybe two honey additions to do, either one 2.5 pounds one or I'm thinking I might split it into two 1.25 pound doses with 4 days in between, hoping the last one will leave some honey flavor behind since it will be at 12 days and the alcohol level will be approaching the yeast killing levels.

A month to six weeks for a wheat beer? You need to rethink that decision. Wheats are like most Hollywood starlets, they don't age gracefully.

_

I based my recipe on:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/prehistoricism-wheat-wine-recipe-99961/

But All grain and using 3 lbs of honey, I guess it's more wheat wine than beer.

Should put the abv at or above 10%.

I know wheat doesn't age like barely, but at this abv I would think it will some extra time from normal wheats that are at 5% or less abv.

This is my first attempt at something this high abv. so not sure the aging.

Back